We are taking this issue very seriously and want to ensure that we are transparent about what’s happening, acting quickly and as precisely as possible, and responding to our community’s concerns. We’re actively working toward a solution by focusing on the following three priorities and work is going around the clock:
Internal Product Investigation
- Based on our regular review of all warrantied /returned units, we identified an electronic component failure that appeared at a greater frequency than expected in the above listed beacons. Although the number of affected units was small, this triggered our internal investigation where the root cause was narrowed to a material handling / assembly anomaly in manufacturing.
- We have pulled all current inventory and are performing a thorough inspection, including testing every single unit before placing them into the marketplace.
- We have worked with our manufacturer(s) to identify and correct the material handling / assembly issue and are confident that this issue has been resolved.
- We have confirmed that this issue is limited to the above listed beacons.
Safety Check & Repair/Replace
- We issued a Notice for Safety Check and urge you to follow the instructions to check if you have an affected unit. We are working to repair or replace all affected beacons as quickly as possible. If you do not feel comfortable checking your own beacon, send it in and we will check it for you.
- All affected units sent in will be replaced or repaired free of charge.
- In conjunction with our Notice of Safety Check, we notified global regulatory bodies (including Health Canada, RAPEX, and the CPSC in North America) and are currently in regular communication with them as our internal investigation continues.
- It is our goal to communicate all information as quickly and precisely as possible. We will continue to provide updated information and answer all questions as soon as possible.